Thank you for visiting the Piggott Group website. Our research spans the exciting and challenging interface between chemistry and biology. We are particularly interested in exploring the extraordinary chemical and structural diversity of natural products and using these molecules as new drug leads and as probes to elucidate biochemical and cellular pathways.
We are located in the Department of Molecular Sciences (MolSci) at the picturesque 126-hectare North Ryde campus of Macquarie University in Sydney. MolSci is part of the Faculty of Science and Engineering and has around 20 academic staff and 60 higher degree research students. MolSci hosts the Australian Proteome Analysis Facility (APAF).
- We just received news that our Cooperative Research Centre Project (CRC-P) grant application has been funded in full. This is a 3-year collaborative project between Microbial Screening Technologies, Meat and Livestock Australia and Macquarie University entitled "The Probio-TICK Initiative".
- We just published a paper in the Emilio Ghisalberti Special Issue of Fitoterapia entitled "A study of the chemical diversity of macroalgae from South Eastern Australia"
- Congratulations to Tareq Morshed, who graduated with a Master of Research degree! Tareq is continuing on as a PhD student in the group with a project entitled "Identifying next-Generation antibiotics using taxonomy-guided biodiscovery"
- We just published a paper in PLoS One entitled "Aspergillus hancockii sp. nov., a biosynthetically talented fungus endemic to southeastern Australian soils
- Michael Cowled has joined the group as an MRes Year 2 student with a project entitled "Isolation and semi-synthesis of enterocin analogues as novel antibiotics"
- Ruchi Mehta has joined the group as an MRes Year 2 student with a project entitled "Yeast display as a platform technology to accelerate antiparasitic drug discovery and development"
- Dr Jenny Vo has left the group and is now an R&D Scientist at Teva Pharmaceuticals. Thanks for all your hard work Jenny and best of luck for the future!
- We just published a paper in Tetrahedron Letters entitled "Primary pH degradation products of doramectin"
- We just published a paper in Natural Product Reports entitled "Identifying the cellular targets of natural products using T7 phage display"
- We just published a paper in Marine Drugs entitled "Aspergillus sydowii marine fungal bloom in Australian coastal waters, its metabolites and potential impact on Symbiodinium dinoflagellates"
- Tareq Morshed has joined the group as an iRTP-funded MRes student with a project entitled "Expanding antibiotic chemical space through directed biosynthesis"
- We just published a paper in the Australian Journal of Chemistry entitled "Kumbicins A–D: bis-indolyl benzenoids and benzoquinones from an Australian soil fungus, Aspergillus kumbius".
- Shalini Tirunagari has joined the group as an IPRS-funded PhD student with a project entitled "Accelerating antibiotic biodiscovery using phage display"
- Dr Andrew Piggott led a successful MQ Research Development Grant (MQRDG) application entitled "Yeast display as a platform technology to accelerate antiparasitic drug discovery and development".
- Dr Andrew Piggott led a successful MQ Research Infrastructure Block Grant (RIBG) application entitled "A high performance liquid chromatography platform to accelerate biodiscovery".
- Dr Andrew Piggott led a successful MQ Strategic Infrastructure Scheme (MQSIS) application entitled "Agilent 6130B/1260 LCMS System".
- Two full-time Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarships (MQRES) are available in the Department of Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences for suitably qualified prospective PhD candidates to work with Dr Andrew Piggott on his ARC Future Fellowship project (FT130100142). For full details and other opportunities in the Piggott Group, please see the Opportunities page.
- Dr Jenny Vo has joined the group on an ARC-funded project to elucidate the binding partners of marine and microbial natural products using novel display technologies
- Dr Andrew Piggott has moved from the Institute for Molecular Bioscience at The University of Queensland to join the Department of Chemistry & Biomolecular Sciences at Macquarie University as an ARC Future Fellow. Read more...